Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sundays are my FAVORITE!!


Hello My lovelies!! First of all I shall apologize right off the bat -- I took an unannounced (10 dollar flight) Trip to Florida this past week .. so there was no American Idol Blogging .. there were no food blogs .. but I shall make it up to you I promise!!!! First off ...  I have an Old Family Recipe to share with you .. that someone of you may or may not have ever had the main ingredient ....
ANISE!!



This is a cake that my mom always made in the spring .. as I grew up ..  perhaps mostly around easter.. and if you've never had anise it has kind of a licorice flavor.. or fennel ?? Anyway , It's very italian .. and I don't like either licorice or fennel and I love this cake. Love .. Nostalgic ? Maybe .. Delicious.. Definitely! 



You'll need the basic's - only special ingredients are the anise extract as well as evaporated milk .. you'll also have to take the yolks from 3 eggs and set them aside.... you can discard the whites.. or make a nice omelette.


Cream the butter and sugar...( there won't be anything exciting in this process this IS an old italian recipe afterall)




Once it is all smooth you can add all of the eggs... 3 whole and 3 yolks.



Mix Mix Mix


At this point ... Take the entire anise bottle.. (1 oz).. and dump'er in..


Trust me .. Use it all. 



At the point, add in your dry ingredients .. 



And your evaporated Milk .. 


And the Chopped Nuts... 



The batter should be thick, almost a dough .. if it is too runny to form a log - add a little more flour - I added about 1/2 a cup more than the recipe called for ....




I also popped it in the fridge while I preheated the oven and prepared the pan just to firm up the batter a bit more... 



Once ready, and formed into logs (You'll get 2 cakes from this recipe)- bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees.... I forgot to take pictures of the naked cakes.. but .. who needs that really .. ON TO THE FROSTING :) just make sure the cakes are cooled !


Pretend there is some heavy cream in this pic .. you'll need that too .. (or milk.. whatever you like ) 


Butter, Salt, Vanilla, Conf Sugar... sift the sugar ...

Use the Paddle... wait WHAT ???? I know I know . I NEVER use the paddle .. but this is not meant to be a light fluffy frosting, but a Heavy thick buttery frosting.. delightful .. trust me. 



Add the cream or milk, to bring the frosting together... 



Eventually it will look like this.. and it will be delicious.



Split the icing into -2- and frost both cakes....



What a Pretty little easter cake :)



Oooor  St Pattys Day :)



Original recipe .. copied from My momma's OLD recipe card!

Anise Cake

1 Cup Butter Softened
1 cup Sugar
3 whole eggs
3 egg Yolks
1 full bottle ( 1 oz ) Anise extract
4 tsp baking powder
3 Cups Flour (May need extra , I used ½ more)
6 oz evaporated milk
½ Cup Walnuts chopped

Cream Butter and Sugar. Add Eggs mix until creamy. Add Anise ,  then flour and bk. Soda, while mixture is on  stir add in  evaporated milk.

Grease cookie sheets, Preheat oven to 350 Degrees,  arrange “dough” on cookie sheets in log form – bake for apx 20 minutes each .



Enjoy!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

I'm Half Doomed And You're Semi Sweet... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice