Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blueberry Pancake Dreams.


No really! The other night I had an actual DREAM about blueberry pancakes... Craved them alllll day yesterday and then today decided to make them .. After  googling blueberry pancakes the FIRST recipe that came up was one of my VERY favorite blogs... www.smittenkitchen.com so I went for it ( I also had some buttermilk left over from a previous recipe so It was meant to be..)

 The recipe is easy and basic , so I shall give it to you , for once , First .. so you can get our your ingredients .. I mean with a tease picture like what I just showed .. how could you not already be frying up your bacon anyway ! ?

BlueBerry Buttermilk Pancakes
-Adapted from SmittenKitchen.com  (Minor changes.. here and there)

(Note- this fed my Family of 3, and we are all stuffed, so Id say up to 4 people could eat from this , any more double up . it's easy enough)

1 c Flour ( I added a touch more at the end so maybe more like 1 1/4 c. )
1tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
Pinch Salt
1 1/2 TBSP Sugar ( I used 1 full and then 1 shy .. you'll see in the pics )
1 egg (beaten(
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (I was shy about 1/8 c so I threw in some nonfat milk)
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
4-6 oz fresh blueberries
-Butter for the griddle

Alrighty On to to the fun part . 


Here's everything I used .. make sure you clean up your berries.. rinse dry .. pick through them.. you never know what kind of dud's you might find.  You could also do this recipe with chopped apple ... and drizzle the cakes with caramel .. or raspberries .. or strawberry chunks.. peaches.. hell any fruit you like .. what about something like pineapple.. mmmm.. 

Moving on .

Flour... 
 This is one recipe I use a whisk and a bowl for .. no mixer.. sorry kitchen Aid .. you'll get your use later ;)


Powder


Soda


Salt , and over the shoulder for luck.. 


This is my second tbsp of sugar.. see how I shorted it .... ?


Next I mixed all the wet ingredients together, buttermilk (and splash of milk b/c I was short on buttermilk) with vanilla ( Oh the vanilla isn't in the original recipe .. but It is something I always do to my pancakes, I don't know exactly why, baking background maybe? It gives breakfast that sweetness I am looking for ..  try it! if you don't like it Omit it ! ) 


Crack in that egg and give it all a good mix .. 


Add your wet ingredients (Minus your melted butter) to the dry and mix them all together . 

Once they are all together, add in your melted butter... This isn't completely necessary to be honest. But it adds a richness than cannot be denied... It also may add a layer to your thighs that cannot be denied.. just sayin'.


Once the butter is mixed in, go ahead and toss in your berries ..  stir them around gently .. and  get ready to load them into the pan .. ( another train of thought , of which I am TOO LAZY to do , is to instead of adding the berries to the batter , is adding the berries to each individual pancake while they are cooking .. I personally think not .. so as you choose ) 



The pan should be prepared with just a little coating of butter, I repeated this between each set of pancakes. Once bubbles rise through the batter  all over the pancake you should be able to flip ... don't fret.. My first batch is almost always a flop. 


They take less time on the second side and there's really no way of telling.. so just check :) you'll be ok . I promise!


Soon you'll be in blueberry heaven . 


Add some thick cut bacon, some home made real maple syrup, and juuuuust a little whipped cream ... and its time for my mid morning siesta .... :)

ENJOY !!

2 comments:

Dan on March 29, 2010 at 6:51 AM said...

Great post! I love blueberry pancakes so I will have to try this one. I posted a link to your blog on mine at http://funsaratoga.typepad.com/funsaratoga/2010/03/saratoga-blog-update-1.html#tp
Take care.

Lisamarie on March 31, 2010 at 7:04 AM said...

Thanks Dan! You will enjoy these :) They are Deeelish! And thanks for the Link- I really appreciate it! Have a great one !- Lisamarie :)

Post a Comment

 

I'm Half Doomed And You're Semi Sweet... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice