Thursday, March 4, 2010

Noshing's Banana Cake.


Well .. while reading one of my FAVORITE people's  tweets (The Pioneer Woman! ) I ran into a blog ....  Noshings.blogspot.com .. and this Fabulous recipe for Banana cake! One day while sitting at my desk at work .. I became hungry for this very recipe .. so, Yesterday I came home and made it! I brought one of my cakes today to work and just about all that is left of it is crumbs .. so try this cake .. trust me . its a cross between the best banana bread you've ever had .. and a sinfully declicious cake .. trust me !!!!




I am going to just tell you now that I added two ingredients to this cake that were NOT In the recipe .. and I will give you the full details as I go .. but here is the Original recipe ingredient.. picture list :



- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled or really soft
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups flour with
- 1 cup buttermilk





3 Bananas did the trick for me .. and I think the lemon juice is really just to keep the Bananas from browning, but it also may play into the buttermilk? ehh ..  I don't know .. just don't skip it ... I used a fresh lemon, but  bottled would have the same effect.



Then you add in the sugar and the eggs ... not whole .. don't do that .. we'll get to the crunchies later .. :)



Mix in the buttermilk... I used Lowfat as opposed to nonfat ....If i could find Full fat , I'd use that.


Salt. Throw a little over the shoulder for good luck .. YES I actually do that ... 



THIS was odd to me.. but I followed Noshings recipe .. and added in the Baking Soda at this point instead of  mixing it (and the salt) into the flour.. In this recipe I liked the application, as I really didn't mix the flour all that much , and I feel like this had its chance to get fully distrubuted.



Vanilla.. Now heres a trick that I ALWAYS use with vanilla.. not so much of a trick .. just my personal taste .. I generally don't measure it ... and if I do .. I leet each teaspoon runneth over.. I like the extra vanilla.... I also generally add Ammaretto into my baked goods.... It gives everyone a hint of .. Hmmm..... I however, did not in this recipe .. You'll see why later.



Stream in the Oil .. 



Mix in the flour until about the point pictured.....  IF you want to add my two additional ingredients .. if you are ready to bake .... then mix it just  until the flour is fully incoorporated and skip to the pan step :)

However... As this recipe was good as is .. I personally am a little nutty .. SO .. I like a little chopped walnut ....  and some coconut .... 




About a 1/2 cup or SO .. of each ?



Mix yadda yadda.. Mmmmm... 


Ok.. so the original recipe- called for a 9x13 pan ... but I wanted to bring a cake to work and leave one home... what to do .. what to do ... 



I used 2, 9 inch rounds :)  baked for just less than an hour at 325 ... that is also different than the original recipe which calls for a 300 degree oven ... and an hour and 20 min or so .. Hey .. I'm impatient .. what Can I say ! ?


SO now!! I had to top this thing when it came out of the oven, so  I thought , what better than Cream cheese icing , chopped walntuts and some toasted coconut ??!!

First up .. Toasted coconut ... as some of my co-workers asked .. how exactly to do so!

Here goes:



First, flaked coconut in a pan over medium heat ...You can kind of let it go for a few minutes to heat it up right now... but move it around a little and KEEP YOUR EYE ON IT ...


Once you start to see a few of those litttttle golden fleks , DON'T LEAVE THE COCONUT .. it burns fast .. and it will ..   Keep the coconut moving . and soon ... 



 It's almost done!!!!   

 Once it is done ..... remove it from the pan, as the pan is HOT .. and will keep the  coconut cooking .. and thus, burning. 



I like to stick the coconut on some foil .. and let it cool for later .. next up ..  Cream cheese Icing !




To frost and fill one cake  you will need

1 stick butter
1 block of cream cheese
8ish- cups conf sugar
4-8 tbsp  cream (depends on the weather , honest to god)
ammaretto to taste
pinch of salt




put the butter and the cream cheese at the bottom of the bowl......


>>>>SIDE NOTEEE<<<<<


GET A GLASS OF WINE .. and if you need a suggestion .. see above..... that's all.


Next -- 



Sift , yes SIFT all that sugar onto the butter/cheese.... 


Add your salt , ammaretto , and start streaming in your cream ..... 
Let the Icing work ... 




It will start looking like this.... and eventually....



Omg .. this... 


!

Okay , now that your cakes are Fully cooled... They need to be FULLY cooled... trust me .. 

Pile on the frosting!!



Spread it around .... 



At this point you could stack another cake on top and make a layer... or you could just bring one to work and amazing all your co workers .. and save one for your family .......  up to you ... 

On the top layer :



Nuts .. 


Coconut ... 


and Voila!!




Enjoy a slice.....



...It might even be better the next day .. in fact - it IS better the next day :)  ENJOY my loves !!! 










Original Recipe :

- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice

Mix well, then add:

- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled or really soft
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Mixing well, again...of course.
then add alternately the flour and buttermilk, mixing well between each addition.

- 3 cups flour with
- 1 cup buttermilk

Pour your batter into a greased 9 X 13 cake pan. Not a glass dish, I suggest a light colored aluminum cake pan with tall, straight sides.
This might be too much batter for anything shorter than 2 inches high.

Bake in a preheated 300*F oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

I'm Half Doomed And You're Semi Sweet... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice